How to know if you have Combination Skin:
Combination skin is a skin type that is both dry and oily skin. The skin can be dry in some areas such as the cheeks, while oily in other areas, like the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin). The T-zone may have visible pores, and the skin may be prone to blackheads and blemishes in this area.
It can be difficult to care for combination skin as it requires a combination of products to address the different skin concerns in different areas of the face. It is important to use products that are formulated for both oily and dry skin, and to avoid using products that are too harsh or stripping as it can make the skin condition worse. Also, it is important to use non-comedogenic products and to exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells.
Sample Skincare Routine for Combination Skin:
- Cleanse: Use a gentle, low-foaming cleanser to remove impurities and excess oil from the skin. Look for ingredients such as salicylic acid or lactic acid, which can help to unclog pores and control oil production in the T-zone.
- Tone: Use an alcohol free toner that is specifically formulated for combination skin. Look for ingredients such as Aloe or Rose water, which can help to balance the skin's pH and hydrate dry areas.
- Treat: Apply a treatment product, such as a serum or spot treatment, to target specific skin concerns such as uneven skin tone or blemishes. Look for ingredients such as niacinamide or hyaluronic acid, which can help to improve the overall appearance of the skin.
- Mask: Look for a clay based mask to apply just to the oily areas 1x week. Remember to leave on for only 5 mins max, as we do not want to pull the beneficial oils out of the skin.
- Moisturize: Use a light, oil-free moisturizer to hydrate the skin without adding excess oil. Look for ingredients such as glycerin or hyaluronic acid, which can help keep the skin hydrated without clogging pores.
- Sunscreen: Apply a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to protect the skin from sun damage.
- Exfoliate: Use a gentle exfoliating product (on clean dry skin) in your PM skincare routine, such as a gentle scrub or BHA chemical exfoliant, 1-3x a week to remove dead skin cells and help unclog pores. Look for ingredients such as salicylic acid or glycolic acid, which can help to gently exfoliate the skin.